Legacy Women is an all-women’s traditional musical group
rooted in Afro-Dominican and Afro-Puerto Rican traditions. Our women are the next generation of NYC’s most gifted drummers, singers, and dancers of Afro-Caribbean music,including Palos, Congos, Salves, Bomba and other Afro-Indigenous roots music of the Caribbean. Our group makes music that celebrates the fiery, nurturing, defiant, yet wise touch that mujeres (women) have. We recognize that we possess feminine power that holds up our community, and honor the immense contributions women make everyday. Our performances are only part of our process of building sisterhood with each other and imbuing our audiences with joy and strength. Featuring original and traditional songs, our sultry and booming vocals,precision drumming and expressive dances encourages everyone to enjoy!
Legacy Women plays:
The Palos, Congos, Sarandunga, and Salves from Dominican Republic, our Afro-Dominican roots drum music & the Bomba from Puerto Rico, our Afro-Boricua roots drum music.
Our original and traditional songs and dances feature our own spirit and essence as we’ve evolved in the NYC urban landscape…
For Bookings, Contact- Manuela Arciniegas, Founder & Director: firstname.lastname@example.org, 646-924-7187.
For up-to-date information please visit
Friday, December 29th, 2017:
LEGACY WOMEN LIVE!
Miel Morena: Let It Go 2017 Edition!
@ Yeresso : 2400 Adam Clayton Powell and W. 140th StreetLet go of the old year with afro-roots drumming, song, and dance. Sweat it out, bid it adieu! These powerhouse ladies will have you shakin’ and groovin’, releasing the old year, and making room for bigger and better thangzz!!
$10 Cover, 10pm-until
- SassaFrass: WomynPower // RootsDrums: SoulMedicine
- Saturday, 10/24/15, 2:30 PM: Inwood New York Public Library, 2:30pm, Address: 4790 Broadway, New York, NY 10034.
- Thursday, 11/11/15: Resisting Anti-Haitianismo Solidarity Concert at El Museo Del Barrio, sponsored by the Center for Traditional Music and Dance, also with Emeline Michel, Kongo Haitian Roots, and Los Pleneros de la 21! http://www.ctmd.org/
- Wednesday, 11/18/15: Time Warner Center
- Thursday 10/1/15, 7pm: Latino Heritage Festival, TWU Local 100, Brooklyn, NY.
- 8/1/15, 1 pm: Lincoln Center’s La Casita, Hearst Plaza, Broadway and W. 65th Street, Free.
- 8/2/15, 4 pm: Pregones Theater’s Block Party/La Casita, E. 150th St. and Walton Ave. Bronx, NY. 4pm, Free
- 8/2/15 7 pm: Lincoln Center & CCCADI’s Ache! Lavagem Da Rua at Lincoln Center’s Damrosch Bandshell on W. 62nd near Broadway, NYC, NY
- 8/6/15, 7 pm: UPROSE’s NYC Climate Justice Youth Summit, Union Theological Seminary, 3041 Broadway Ave. NYC, NY.
Check out our videos and audio!
Bomba at Hostos Community College’s Bomplenazo Festival: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUE5PvPCcdE
Palos at the Brucker Bar and Grill, 2013: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R339vVmdUs
Congos of Villa Mella from Dominican Republic, 2013: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQRU6a3VCBs
Palos at the AfroLatino Drum Forum 2011: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOxPd0wrrAw
Peace, Balance, Joy, and Fire!
-The Legacy Women, a.k.a. Las Herederas